Primarily Responsible for inspection, sampling, and/or grading work performed in the field, completion of all necessary paperwork, correct distribution of samples, and timely communications with office staff. Occasionally, grading at the laboratory (and not in the field) will be necessary.
- Perform field inspections on Vessels, Containers, Trucks, and/or rail cars to ensure the customer’s requirements are fulfilled. These inspections will require tasks such as holds/compartment cleanliness inspections, holds/compartment sealing, visual verification of equipment and cargo, sampling, taking temperatures, etc.
- Grade (assess quality parameters) grains and cereals according to Canadian Grain Commission Standards, either in the field (terminal), and/or at the Location’s laboratory
- Responsible for the correct preparation and distribution of all field reports to vessels, terminals, and the office
- Responsible for the proper identification and timely transportation of the samples obtained during the Inspections
- Other similar tasks as assigned by the supervisor
- One year of Grain and Cereals grading knowledge and experience is required. In-depth knowledge and training will be provided, if necessary, but the candidate must have a basic understanding and experience grading grain and cereals typical to the location requiring the candidate
- Draft Surveying knowledge/experience a plus
- Ability to read, write and communicate in English necessary (French a plus but not required)
- Basic math skills include the ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Basic computer skills working with common office software like Excel, Word, and Outlook.
- Must have unrestricted use of a licensed and insured vehicle in good, safe operating condition that can be used on the job for both personal and sample transportation in all ambient weather conditions. Must possess a valid current driving license and meet the requirements of AmSpec Safe Driving Policy.
- Must be ready to accept job assignments at any time, 24×7. Overtime must be worked as required to meet the needs of the branch office
- Must be able to work in terminals, grain elevators, and on-board marine vessels as necessary
- Must respond to communications from the office and be always available.
- Attendance at monthly safety meetings is required.
- Since this is primarily a field position, the employee will not be required to be present at the local branch office unless required for training, H&S or operational meeting, laboratory grading, or any other duties necessary to perform the job’s functions.
- It is recommended, that the candidate resides within two hundred kms from the hiring Location/branch.
- The employee may be exposed to grain dust or high-noise environments. AmSpec provides product information, training, and personal protective equipment to protect employees from exposure to potentially harmful levels of those conditions. The employee will be required to work outdoors in all levels of adverse weather conditions.
- Work may be required to be performed in farms, grain elevators, grain terminals and onboard barges, ships, railcars, and trucks.
- Local and on occasion long-distance travel may be required.