Has responsibility for everyday operations of the laboratory. They will keep the Laboratory Manager informed of all laboratory needs. They are involved with arranging instrumental calibrations, sample and analytical assignments, maintaining original data for calibrations and daily quality control, reviewing final reports and record keeping and physical maintenance of the laboratory and training & development of laboratory staff. The Assistant Lab Manager is responsible for arranging the outside support services and record keeping as well. This includes instrument service contracts, if any, subcontracting sample analysis, etc.
• Managing daily operations at the Laboratory;
• Ensuring accurate analysis at all times. Address all technical issues that arise from routine analysis and confer with QHSE Manager and Head of Operations on the more critical issues.
• Coordinate and schedule lab assignments to Analysts/ Lab Technicians. Help in testing when laboratory is busy.
• Receiving, compiling, and verifying the data resulting from lab testing. Must document and maintain accurate records for all customer quality control samples.
• Analyzing and compiling quality control sample results to ensure accuracy and operating efficiency of process and/ or testing equipment.
• Ensure training of laboratory analysts. Act as liaison between laboratory technicians and Laboratory Manager as well as between laboratory technicians and Operations.
• Controlling the lab equipment and supply inventory. Coordinate the replacement or repair of faulty equipment and supplies. Must also perform instrument calibrations and maintain verifications as per schedule.
• Will provide cover for Laboratory Manager in their absence.
• Follow up and close out on NCRs, investigative preventative action and implement appropriate corrective actions.
• Overseeing laboratory equipment purchasing to ensure that it is complete, to the global standard and scheduled to arrive at the appropriate time in the project build.
• Knowledge and experience in operations within the testing, inspection and certification industry
• Establishing and maintaining internal and external / domestic and international client relationships
• Communicate all relevant issues relating to operations, QHSE management
• Bachelor of Science level or similar (obtained by education and/or experience)
• Minimum of 5 years’ experience in a comparable organization and role, minimum 2 years’ experience within the
TIC industry, having a Lab back ground is mandatory;
• Proven time management skills and a strong attention to detail.
• Interoffice team member
• Commitment of 1 year or more.
• Regional team involvement will mean that extended and/or irregular hours will be required;
• Ability to work well with others & independently, without supervision;
• Ability to manage a team;
• Proven ability to manage and coordinate multiple projects in a fast-paced, fluid and professional environment;
• Superior organizational, communication and interpersonal skills are essential;
• Candidates must demonstrate excellent verbal and written communication skills in English;
• Must be able to read, understand and follow work instructions in a safe, accurate and timely manner;
• Proficient in using various types of computer and planning software (Word, Excel. PowerPoint, Outlook);
• Frequent travel to other/future AmSpec locations may be required;
• Knowledge of local environment (with an attention for wastes), health and safety requirements/legislations
• Ensures full compliance with the company’s Health & Safety, environmental, Code of Integrity, and Professional
• Actively promotes good housekeeping and safe use of equipment;
• This job description should not be construed as an exhaustive statement of essential functions, duties, responsibilities or requirements, but a general description of the job. Nothing contained herein restricts the company’s rights to assign, change or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time;
• AmSpec is an Equal Opportunity Employer and a drug free environment.